Juliet Asante Is Out at Ghana’s Film Authority—More Questions Than Answers

Juliet Yaa Asantewa Asante, who served over four years as chief of Ghana’s National Film Authority (NFA), revealed in a March 2, 2025, Facebook post, that she had been unexpectedly terminated. Asante said she learned of her replacement through public announcements rather than formal notice.

Her candid post detailed challenges during her tenure, including:

  • The NFA operated without payment for staff in its first two years
  • Minimal government funding (less than $1,000 initially)
  • Obstruction from the board on initiatives
  • Harassment from industry colleagues

Her successor, filmmaker Kafui Danku (with James Gardiner as Deputy), responded diplomatically but didn’t address Asante’s specific allegations of obstruction and neglect.

The abrupt transition foregrounds the industry politics and structural challenges facing Ghana’s film regulatory body—as the country attempts to assert itself within the broader African filmmaking landscape.

Akoroko Premium subscribers received a newsletter outlining the challenges and frustrations Asante said she faced during her tenure as NFA chief, reflecting on her accomplishments and struggles while raising questions about the NFA’s future under her successor.

To receive the newsletter, subscribe at the link (Now with a 7-day free trial!): https://akoroko.com/subscribe/